Monday, April 15, 2013

Avoiding the news

Tonight I'm sitting at the computer because there's a part of me that wants to avoid the news. Not that I don't already know about the bombs at the Boston marathon (I know, because a coworker was at the finish line when it happened; see his account in the Washington Post via the link above). But I don't really want to see the news.

We had a really nice weekend (not weather-wise, but fun activities), so I don't want to lose my good mood.

Saturday, we took a nice walk with the dogs.

Sunday, we went to Hood River since they were having their open studio tour of local artists.

Found these earrings by Kathy Watne. Enameled lily pads! How cute are these!?!

And this amazing painting by Karen Watson. I'd like to get lost walking along this turquoise water.

There must be something about having the initials "KW" in Hood River that breeds talent. 

We also did a couple tastings at two of our favorite wineries: Marchesi and Naked.

Also had a fine pizza at Double Mountain!
Tonight, I pulled from slot #1 in the red wine zone of our SubZero wine fridge. (Best estate sale find, evah!) Out came a bottle of Ty Caton cabernet sauvignon. Score!

The cab has a beautiful dark plum color. The nose is faintly warm and woody, with black cherry notes. On the tongue, I get more dark berries and oak, and wow -- is it ever velvety while it grabs the tongue. It departs with a minerality and strong tannins. Very long finish.

Appellation: Sonoma Valley. We are overdue for a visit to California. This will keep me happy in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment